For genealogy and history visit The Pettit History and Genealogy Research Project.

Bookmark this site:
https://pettitresearch.com/

James Pettet and Eleanor Bernett Family Bible 1798 NY -Pettitresearch.com

imageJames Pettet and Eleanor Bernett Family Bible 1798 NY -Pettitresearch.com

James Pettet was born in the town of Westfield County of Saraotga Washington N.Y. on the 20th day of April AD 1798.-  - -Eleanor Bernett was born in the town of Halfmoon on the 17th day of April AD 1803.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Brandon
    edited September 2023

The information below was part of the original article. It was removed on 9/21/23 after discussion with Janet Wood, another Pettit family researcher, revealed that this James Pettet is probably not the same man mentioned in the Bible record. That researcher commented:

"I was able to read the probate and will of that John Pettit and all the right sons are listed in his will, he mentions James, but in the past tense since it is his granddaughter "Elsy Ann Pettit, reputed daughter of my son James" who he leaves a small sum of money to. Elsy Ann is reported to be in the territory of Wisconsin whereabouts unknown. This will was written in 1839 and probated in 1840  The probate does not mention James as an heir but does again mention the granddaughter, Elsy Ann Pettit.  James of the bible record was firmly place in Chenango Co. NY in 1840 with a wife and family."

I concur and have removed this speculatory piece but am preserving it here in the comments for historical purpose. Original section follows:

(Possible) Family History

It has not yet been confirmed but it is suspected that this James Pettet may be the son of a John Pettit written about in The History of Saratoga County, NY by Nathaniel Nartlett Sylvester published in 1878. In that book a biography of John Pettit is described, mentioning a son named James Pettit who could have been the author of this Bible record. James is said to have been a soldier in the War of 1812 and the James in this Bible record would have been about 18 years old at the time. An excerpt from that book is quoted below:

John Pettit was born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, in August, 1764. Being of a studious turn of mind, he early began to study and his first lessons in writing were taken with a coal for a pencil and a strip of birch-bark for a copy-book. As soon as he was old enough to do so he enlisted in the continental army, and served till the close of the Revolution, and then returned to his Massachusetts home. Here he soon after married Mary Barnes, and in 1793 emigrated to New York, and settled a little north of Greenfield Centre, on the farm no occupied by Hiram T. Lawton. Upon the erection of the town he became, by appointment, one of the justices of the peace, and held that office for forty-one consecutive years. He was elected supervisor four times, and was a member of the Assembly in 1817 and again in 1823.

His family consisted of eight sons and five daughters. Three of his sons, John, James, and Paris were solider in the War of 1812. Paris was killed in battle at Sacket’s Harbor. John was taken prisoner, and carried to Quebec. James passed through the war unharmed. Another son, William R. Pettit, removed to Gorham, Ontario Co., where he still lives, at an advanced aged. He was a member of the Assembly, from the first district of Ontario county, in 1852. The only other surviving child is Alexander H. Pettit, of Fairweather, Adams Co., Ill. John Pettit died, fill of years and honors, Jan.1 1840.

• Janet Wood
    edited October 2023

Here is a pic of the will/probate of John Pettit (1764-1840) who did have a son James. This son James is presumed deceased by 1840 as the will/probate mentions an heir; Elsy Ann Pettit granddaughter, daughter of 'my' son James Pettit. Elsy Ann Pettit was said to have been living in the Wisconsin Territory at the time of the probate, county and town unknown.

The James Pettet of the family bible record in this article was alive and well living in Montgomery County, NY in 1840 with his wife and children.

These two families may be related in some manner. Further research is being done on James Pettit and Eleanor Bennett Pettet and I will report back when I've exhausted my research of online records.

• Thank you Janet. I updated the article to include a picture of the 1850 census showing James' household which, as you note, includes people named in the bible record. This proves James lived on past 1840, (indeed well into the 1880s at least.) In 1850 there is also an 87-year old Anna Pettit living with them who I presume to be his mother. Looking forward to seeing what else you find. I will revise the article when you conclude.