For genealogy and history visit The Pettit History and Genealogy Research Project.

Bookmark this site:
https://pettitresearch.com/

The Death of Old Joshua Pettit of Spartanburg Co., SC 1780~1786

The Death of Old Joshua Pettit of Spartanburg Co., SC 1780~1786

Read the full story here

Comments

• Brandon
    edited November 2022

I used to think he may have live beyond 1786 but my current hunch is he died sometime in late 1780. When do you think Joshua Pettit died? What about his wife Rachel? Could she be the older female in the household of Joel Hembree in the 1790 census? If anyone can find Joshua Pettit's probate records or knows more about this subject please post a comment!

• I believe that Old Joshua and Henry were at the Battle of Musgrove Mills in August 1780. Oddly enough, Henry and Old Joshua served under Roebuck, yet only Henry was at the Battle of Cowpens in January 1781; however I believe Old Joshua had a daughter born after the War. As I said in a comment on another post, I will see if the will I have was that of Old Joshua. I may also have a pic of a stone that was placed on his grave (will be interesting to see what date is on it). Thank you so much for all the blood, sweat and tears you put into preserving our family history. I have been saying for years that when I retire I will really dig into just my RevWar Pettit and Poole family histories, but wow! So great to see this. I am blessed to live in a community with many Rev War veteran descendants. As a matter of fact, there are still Pettits here. The bittersweet (mostly sweet 🙂) is I get to spend a great deal of my “work” researching the stories of local Rev War ppl, places and things. The bitter is I want to trace just my family. Lol