For genealogy and history visit The Pettit History and Genealogy Research Project.

Bookmark this site:
https://pettitresearch.com/

FOUND: Another Old Genealogy of John Pettit (1608) Hand Written by Elnora Pettit (1808-1886), Daught

imageFOUND: Another Old Genealogy of John Pettit (1608) Hand Written by Elnora Pettit (1808-1886), Daughter of Dr. James Pettit (1777-1849) and Lucy Felt (1777-1859)

"In my possession is a record given by my grandfather Johnathan Pettit, taken from his lips by my brother William, about the year 1825, of which the above is a copy also that his ancestry were farmers,persons of information, and respectability..."

Read the full story here

Comments

• Brandon
    edited March 2022

One small odd thing to note in this account is the reference to the burning of the town of Schenectady during the American Revolution which prompted the family to migrate elsewhere. Schenectady was indeed burned, but not in the revolutionary period. It was much much earlier in 1690. It is curious that an obscure reference like this, albeit somewhat erroneous, made it into the story.

Anyone researching this family that would like more information, please leave a comment below. A full transcription of the entire paper will be posted in the coming days.

• Many thanks to Janet Wood who was able to correct and revise the areas of this letter that had stumped me during my initial transcription. It has now been updated and questions about nearly all of the unknown words have been resolved.