For genealogy and history visit The Pettit History and Genealogy Research Project.

Bookmark this site:
https://pettitresearch.com/

The Full List of Children of Joshua Pettit (b1734) and Rachel Pettit of Spartanburg, SC Based on the

The Full List of Children of Joshua Pettit (b1734) and Rachel Pettit of Spartanburg, SC Based on the Best Supporting Documentation Available – Pettit Family Genealogy and History

Pettit Family Genealogy and History Projects, Blog, and Message Board

Read the full story here

Comments

• If you would like more information on any of the sources mentioned in this post, please feel free to post a question or contact me. Thanks!

• Brandon, You say Hannah may have been the first wife of Joshua. I'm sure you're aware of these pages below from Find-A-Grave listing the children. These seem to be more definitive but I'm not sure of the sources of the Find-A-Grave information. Just wondering your thoughts.

The Find-A Grave page for Joshua Pettit https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/9015886/joshua-pettit

states "Joshua Pettit was married twice, a old record found in the possession of his eldest son Henry partly obscure some parts readable list with his children with Hannah and with Rachel ...In Elizabethtown New Jersey he had a daughter, Hannah in 1758 and son Henry in 1763 before he removed to the Shenandoah Valley."

The Find-A Grave page for Rachel Monroe Pettit https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/9015908/rachel-pettit#

states "Joshua's children source Henry Pettit Sr. Family Bible & fathers Joshua Pettit's records

Joshua & Hannah Pettit children,

Hannah Pettit b. 1758 Joel Hembree

Henry Pettit b. 1763 Anna Pool

Joshua Pettit b. 1764 Judith Poole

Joshua & Rachel Pettit children

Mary Pettit May 20 1767-July 20 1769

Benjamin Pettit b. July 26 1769-Elizabeth Hindman

John Pettit Sept 2 1771

Nathan Pettit b. Sept 22, 1775 m Levina McCollum

Abraham Pettit b. Oct 29, 1776

Rachel Pettit b. April 9, 1779 m. Hugh Davis 2nd Johnston Hembree"

I just figured out my Pettit family connection and it seems to be correct.

Joshua Pettit ->Henry Pettit ->Elizabeth Pettit Mooney -> Joshua Mooney -> George Washington Mooney Sr. ->George Washington Mooney Jr. ->Ruby Jewell Mooney Clark ->Robert Clark ->Aaron Clark

Thanks,

Aaron Clark

• Brandon
    edited January 2021

Wow. Great timing Aaron. I was just finishing up an article on the Mooney/Pettit/Monroe connection which is pertinent to your line. I'll post a comment to you over on that topic as well: https://pettitresearch.com/familyhistory-forum/discussion/23/monroe-or-no-rachel-pettit-wife-of-joshua-pettit-b-1734-pettit-family-genealogy-and-history

I haven't looked at the find-a-grave pages lately but I'm told my name was given as the person who provided the information on Joshua Pettit and Rachel for it. I can assure you I did not make the claims on which children belong to Hannah and Rachel mentioned on there. I did share the info out of the bible records with several other researchers along with a hypothesis to study and it seems someone took the hypothesis and rushed it to the presses! This is how false legends are born! LOL

The sources referenced on the find-a-grave page which you pointed out are the two family bible records that were submitted by Henry Pettit Sr's descendants in his Rev. War pension application. You've probably seen them, but if not I have high resolution copies of them on this website. There is only one reference in the bible records to "Joshua and Hannah Pettit" and it is in Joshua's bible at the top of page two. It mentions a son that died in 177[?] and his name is illegible.

I have also never seen the 1758 birth date for Hannah and have no idea where that came from. (IF Joshua was born in 1734 then it would make sence he married and had children before Henry was born 1763 but there is no data to support this so far. ) Hembree researchers had been pretty consistent with the 1765 year for daughter Hannah but maybe we need to revisit this? It wouldn't hurt to look over the census data for Hannah Hembree. I believe she was in spart co., and moved to rowan Co., TN and died between the 1830 and 1840 census. A warning on this though, it has been mentioned that Joel's mother-in-law Rachel Pettit was living with them and that may affect how we interprete the data if true. I'll look into it and update this article if there is something worth noting.

It also may be good to update it with the children who have a confirmed mother name. Rachel or Hannah.

Thank for the comment!

• Today (2023-5-17) I received a phone call from my dear cousin Viola H. Jones who offered another possibility for consideration in regards to the Bible entry showing a mystery son of "Joshua and Hannah Pettit". I should mention that she presented this as an alternative theory but wanted to be clear that it was speculative in nature and had not been proven. I found the idea intriguing and have updated the article above to include the following:

"It is also possible this Joshua and Hannah Pettit were the parents of old Joshua (b. 1734) and he merely noted the death of their son (his brother/half brother) in his own Bible."