For genealogy and history visit The Pettit History and Genealogy Research Project.

Bookmark this site:
https://pettitresearch.com/

Pettit: Family Name Meaning and Origin

imagePettit: Family Name Meaning and Origin

Pettit family name meaning and origin. Many theories and historical assessments of the ancient Pettit origins have been put forth.

Read the full story here

Comments

• So now I need to go back to visit the church of St Just in Roseland to look for the coat of arms above the door . The day we visited a couple of years back they had a beautiful swag of flowers around the door for a wedding .....I will double check through the photos I took that day too . I had not realised there was a Pettit link to this actually very holy place .

We have also visited Ardevora ..still a very beautiful place .We often take a picnic to enjoy at Pendennis Point Falmouth and look across to where some of our ancestors lived . Ardevora is Cornish for " a place on the water " .

Oh I almost forgot to say I have been over the years gently researching my grandmother's maiden name of Pettit , Pettett .Petyt Petit Petyt de Blois etc .

• O.k everyone ! I have just remembered ! It is NOT St Just in Roseland , but another place in Cornwall , a village in the far West Penwith called St Just ......inside the Church there and this is where you can find the heraldic shield of the lion on one of the pillars . The church was built with money given by Richard Fitz Ives who was married to Isabel La Blanche daughter of King John .

Now I am planning to go there again and take some more photos of it . I will update you with a pic soon . So this is another exciting earlier bit of the story .

• Thank you for your comments, Daisy! We look forward to seeing any photos you can supply of the area.

In addition to the locations near you, there was also a significant Pettit presence at Margate, Kent, though I believe this is some distance away from you. At the St John Churchyard, Margate, Kent there are supposed to be several Pettits entombed and a placard commemorating displayed there their benevolent work in the community. The remnants of Dent De Lion castle are there as well which was, for a time, held by the Pettit family. I am told that the area surrounding the old castle gate is currently being excavated for some sort of housing development.

Best of luck researching your grandmother's Pettit family!