For genealogy and history visit The Pettit History and Genealogy Research Project.

Bookmark this site:
https://pettitresearch.com/

Joshua Pettit, Increase Pettit and Martha Greene, a Rich English Lady from Barton Regis to Jamaica,

imageJoshua Pettit, Increase Pettit and Martha Greene, a Rich English Lady from Barton Regis to Jamaica, NY

Read the full story here

Comments

• This is in response to a follow-up question I received. It was asked if I know where George W. Pettit who sent this letter lived and if the letter included an envelope. All I know, based on the letter itself which simply says it was written in New York. The envelope the letter was in did not include a mailing address or a stamp. It simply says “Family Records, Hempstead Pettit records.” To me this suggests it might have been hand delivered to Mr. Nostrand and not sent through the mail. Perhaps George Pettit lived very near Mr. Nostrand and delivered it to him in person. It also may not be the original mailed envelope. I have not personally traced this George W. Pettit. If anyone has any information on him, please message me or post a comment below. Thanks.

• "It is also important to point out that “1st generation” Joshua Pettit had two sons and two daughters according to the letter. None of the names of his children were given except for Increase Pettit. Some have speculated that the other son may have been named Joshua II born in 1734 who relocated to New Jersey, Virginia and South Carolina in that order. There are also some who claim the other son was a man named Zadok Pettit."

This confusion with some people naming the other son of 1st generation Joshua as Zadok may come from the relationship of Joshua Pettit (1751-1820) having a son named Zadock (1785-1834). This Zadok was a g-grandson of 1st generation Joshua which goes like this: Joshua (1701) - Increase (1726) - Joshua (1751) - Zadock (1785). To confuse the matter even more Zadock (1785) had brothers; Increase and Joshua. Good grief!!!

I have never found any other reference to another Zadock during this time period on Long Island.