For genealogy and history visit The Pettit History and Genealogy Research Project.

Bookmark this site:
https://pettitresearch.com/

Petitt (Pettit) line from Giles, VA?

Hello all, I am doing some digging with Ancestry and following my mother’s maiden name, Petitt. She got it from her father Winifred Ray from Leitchfield KY (1939-2022), whose mother was Faye Green and whose siblings include David, Isaac, Gurney. Winifred Ray (Papa Ray as I knew him) died in 2022 in Deridder, LA. 

Winifred Ray got the Petitt name from his father Winifred Winston (WW) from Tazewell VA (1895-1975), whose siblings include Crell Edward and Clifton Clinch. WW and his sister Clifton lived in Roanoke, VA in a house together with their mother Alice Twigg in 1924. WW and his wife Faye Green ran a farm in Grayson County, VA, where they both died in the mid 1970s. 

WW’s father was George from Giles VA (1870-around 1920). George seems to have died before 1924 as his wife Alice was listed as his widow in the Roanoke City directory from that year. It’s possible he died even earlier, as WW was listed as head of household with his mother Alice at age 14 in the 1910 census of Pocahontas, Tazewell Co, VA. There’s an 1895 Tazewell, VA marriage certificate from George Petitt’s marriage to Alice Twigg that states his parents are P.H. and Martha from Virginia, but that’s about all I can solidly find on the matter. 

Information about the Petitt Family line in Virginia would be greatly appreciated!