For genealogy and history visit The Pettit History and Genealogy Research Project.

Bookmark this site:
https://pettitresearch.com/

Looking for a Mary Pettit (married Charles Martin / Burlington Co, NJ in 1810. (b: 1780-90?)?)

Hello.

I have been doing genealogy research periodically for 10 years on my Martin ancestry and have run into a dead end. My great great grandfather was the son of Charles Martin and Mary Pettit. He was born about 1815 in Burlington County NJ. His obituary says "he was of French descent and lived near Mount Holly, New Jersey"   

I can't find any reference to any brothers or sisters, so I think Charles (son of Charles and Mary) was an only child. He left New Jersey about 1836 and settled in Indiana for the rest of his life. He was an active member of the Odd Fellows and was part of the First Presbyterian Church from 1846 onward.

I have great information from Indiana on, but I'm really trying to get back to "France" :-)

Has anyone run across a Mary Pettit? Or any connection to Burlington County NJ around 1810?

Thanks so much,

Gerri

Comments

• Brandon
    edited January 2022

Hi Gerri,

I haven't personally studied those particular folks but I know the Pettits have been in Burlington Co., NJ since at least the 1690s. Nathaniel Pettit and his wife Mary operated an ordinary there around that time. There was also a Moses Pettit who lived there in that period. It is also said that Charles Pettit, the first Quartermaster of the Continental Army, was from Burlington Co., NJ. I believe these Pettits were Quakers so you may want to check Quaker records. They kept pretty good track of births.

I'll keep my eye out for Burlington Co. Pettit info and post anything I run across. Hope someone else will see your message and eventually chime in. Thanks for visiting!

Brandon